Saturday, June 16, 2012

When Jesus Says Follow Me...




I’m sure most of you know this bible story: John 21:15-25, Jesus reinstates Peter.  After Peter had denied Jesus not once but 3 times, Peter couldn’t just sit around and wait for Jesus to appear as He promised.  So he goes back to his old ways.  He goes fishing. 

Have you ever gone back to your old ways, when you’re tired of ‘waiting’ for Jesus?

When Jesus finally comes to find Peter He has to make sure He has his full attention.  Because what Jesus is about to tell Peter will change him at his core.  Because this is so important Jesus knows He must address what happened the last time they were together.  Instead of flat calling him out on his denial He asks Peter 3 times, “do you love Me?”  In my mind I can picture this whole scenario play out.  I see Peter’s heart break the first time Jesus asks this.  I see him respond with confidence the second time. The third time? I see his soul unite with Jesus, his Savior.  And he reply’s the only way one who’s screwed up can; “Lord you alone know all things”.    Here is when Jesus Knows He can press on with Peter.  And He says, “follow Me.” 

Jesus actually starts walking and I can see a hop under Peter’s foot as he tries to fall in step with Jesus.  Jesus tells Peter on this walk that things from now on will seem tough and hard.  At this Jesus, once again see’s Peter’s eyes flailing about, I’m sure all too familiar to the night of betrayal. Peter notices that John has been following at a close distance and he points to him asking the Lord “what about him”?  This is the second time in scripture I see the eyes of Jesus so clearly lock onto Peter, just like the moment the rooster crowed.   In Jesus’ eyes I see the kindness of a Redeemer.  As He opens His mouth I can see the strings of His vocal cords strengthen and He strongly says “what is it to you?  You must follow me.”  His kindness meets His authority and I am beckoned to follow.

Have you ever been in a season of life where your only reply is “Lord you alone know all things”?

I have been hearing these words from Jesus whispered in my heart.  And I have learned that when Jesus says “follow me” you do.  So I have been.  As I have been following completely unaware of where He is leading me I start to feel His peace.  That’s when I know just where He is leading me.  He leads me to the end of our road where our small little kindergarten is and He asks; “can you give me Khoen?” I quickly reply that of course He can have him.  He walks further towards the playground (where He knows my mind has been lately.)  Again He asks “can you give me Khoen?”  All I say is a quiet yes.  He leads me inside where my greatest fear lies.  I hear the talking of teachers and children; the language is loud and confusing, no one speaking our native tongue.  I start to tremble, my hands are shaking.  I find myself reaching for Jesus and He is not there.  I look desperately for my Jesus.  I hear a comforting voice and I turn to see a King kneeling next to a three-year-old little blonde boy.  My boy.
 Jesus looks over His shoulder at me and asks “can you give me Khoen?”  I can only reply “Lord you alone know all things.”  He says to me “let go of my sheep, I am leading him now.”    I realize it is time for me to go and as I reach the door I see Jesus surrounding my son.  I open the door to leave and I see Jesus, ready to lead me home.
Trusting Jesus as I send my first born to Kindergarten July 1st,
Michelle

2 comments:

  1. Wow I knew you would know when the time was right, but I didn't know it would be so soon. Beautiful story of obedience. Thanks. We are already praying for khoen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks mom. I am truly looking forward to it. And so is he! Pray also for the teachers and his soon-be friends. Love you mom

      Delete