Tuesday, June 5, 2012

I'm A Little Tea cup



Word Study- Cup

Psalm 23:5 “my cup overflows.”  The cup being what contains the portion God gives me.  It holds what He is giving, so it can be my body, my soul, my mind, my heart, my hands. 

Matt. 10:42 “And if anyone gives even a cup of cold water to one of these little ones because he is my disciple, I tell you the truth, he will not lose his reward.” The cup is not mine, I can give it-or receive it.

Matt 23:25 “you clean the outside of the cup but the inside is full of greed and self-indulgence.”  The cup also refers to my spiritual state. 

Matt 26:39 “My Father, if it is possible, may this cup be taken from me, yet not as I will, but as you will.”  Jesus asks that His cup be taken from him.  This makes me think my cup can be a situation or season of life.

 The Cup:                                                            Applying it:
Body                                                                    Me
Season                                                                 God has moved me to Reichenbuch, Germany
Portion                                                                 My kids, husband and community

Hold it                                                                   I hold it as I control my emotions (i.e anger during discipline)
Give it                                                                   I give it as I show love and grace
Receive it                                                              I accept orders from a King

It is empty                                                             When I am selfish
Full                                                                        When I am humble
Over flowing                                                          By God’s grace

Clean                                                                     When I repent
Dirty                                                                      When I don’t

A few months went by after I had written this out.  I had just put all three of my kids down for a nap and was feeling tremendously guilty.  I had been very frustrated with Khoen when I was putting him to bed and found myself needing the Lord.  I pulled out my binder that contains all my quiet time paraphernalia and came across this word study.  It was just what I needed.  The Lord knew it and now I knew just what I was going to do after nap time.
 I got Khoen up from his nap and set him at the table.  As I walked back and forth between the kitchen and dining room he asked, “What are you doing mama?” “Just wait, you’ll see” was my reply.I returned to where Khoen sat with a tea cup, saucer, dirt and a glass of full water. I could see the quizzical look in my three year olds eyes.  After reassuring him that we weren’t going to eat my little concoction I began my production with his full attention.  As I set the cup on the saucer I explained that God made Khoen very unique and special.  “Khoen, you are like this cup.”  I also told him that the saucer represented the world/the people God put us to live around.  I lifted the glass filled with water and said imagine this is God.  He is filled with living water.  As I poured the water into the ‘khoen cup’ I said “look now you’re filled with God!”  Then I poured it back and rubbed Khoen’s cup with dirt.  I explained that the dirt was like sin.  It represents every time we hit, scream NO!, disobey or act selfishly.  Then I filled the cup back up with ‘Gods water’ I made it to pour out onto the saucer ‘the world’.  With a voice full of sadness I said “Oh no! God wants to pour himself out to the world through Khoen, but some of khoen’s ‘dirt/sin’ is spilling all over them.  How can we keep this from happening?”  I got what I had expected-silence.  So I replied with a giddy “I know!”  “lets tell God that there is dirt in us and see if He will make us clean.”  So I quickly and efficiently emptied and wiped the cup clean.  As I did this I quoted John 3:16 “For God so loved the world that He gave His only son, so that whoever believes in Him would not perish but be clean and live in eternal life.” (italics added) Then I refilled Khoen’s cup and let it overflow with the grace of God.  We ended by saying how pleased God is by seeing Himself, fully fall on all the people in the saucer through Khoen. 
The next day I went to a second hand store and found the most beautiful teacup and saucer set.  I brought it home to my beloved son and presented it to him as though it was more costly then gold.  Because you know what, it was.  It represented the soul that my savior died for.  He beamed from ear to ear.          

2 comments:

  1. Now that is a beautiful tea cup! Is this the one you bought?
    This is not Daylon, but Janie- Daylon is the one who set up the account. heh heh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is! It reminded me of Khoen so much! It seemed the perfect one for him.

      Delete